Monday, May 07, 2007

Clappy Scarf and a kitchen renovation

What a crazy weekend! Friday I finished the Clapotis Scarf for the DKC's Knit For The Cure drive. I kinda feel I've been working on this forever as I was trying to work on other things at the same time. Finishing the scarf wasn't what was crazy. What's crazy is that we tore out the kitchen cabinets in like 2 hours. Who am I kidding? I had nothing to do with it. Paul and Dom did all the work. And Dom was even sick! These dudes totally rocked. However I did assist in a Home Depot, burger, beer/wine run.
During the removal of the cabinets, Paul decided he was curious to see what type of insulation (if any) was between the inside wall and the outside wall. He discovered there was insulation (which was a surprise). However it was comprised of cardboard and tar (which was also a surprise). I bet you can only imagine what Paul wants to do first before we do anything else.
Sunday morning I shunned grubby house stuff and met up with Sophie to do a little damage to our wallets. I bought a slew of books - a few which were back ordered so they couldn't be photographed.

In addition to the books I bought 10 balls of Jo Sharp's SoHo Summer DK Cotton for the cute a-line top from Jo Sharp's Saturday book. I actually swatched last night and it's pretty close to spot on.

(I have more Jo Sharp yarn that I bought about 6 months ago and I think I'm going to do the Bianca's Jacket from Interweave Knits Fall 2006. I still need to swatch though. I guess these will be the projects that will take up most of my time for now. Next I will need to cast on the Hand Maiden Sea Silk for a wrap I promised a friend. But really this is just a side not to myself)

Sunday afternoon I couldn't avoid helping out any longer. I donned safety goggles and a face mask and wielded a hammer and crowbar to start removing the walls in the kitchen. I have to admit I like throwing around a hammer especially when it comes to destruction. I had most of the nasty-assed tiles removed and a nice size hole started before we decided we had to set up a temporary kitchen in the basement. I can see the fun has only just started.
Started: April 4, 2007
Completed: May 4, 2007
Pattern: Clapotis by Kate Gilbert
Pattern Modifications: I made it a scarf size so I think I only 4 increase sections.
Yarn: Patons Impressions hand-dyed wool (donated to the DKC)
Color: #3504
Needles: US7/4.5mm Addi Turbos
Notes: This scarf was made for the DKC's Knit For The Cure.


Sandi Purl said...

holey madness!
diggin' the pink clapi scarf - go-jass!
sounds like Jo Sharp's your new bf!

jacquieblackman said...

Thanks, lady!

Jo is totally my BFF. Hee!

Peggy said...

Awesome scarf! The unselfish knitter!! Such intricate work for charity... again, I would've just doubled up the yarn and used 9mm needles. :P

Carla said...

Great purchases, gorgeous scarf!

Lorena said...

That is going to be one great looking kitchen. And it IS one great looking scarf! Congrats on both!

jacquieblackman said...

Thanks, everybody!

The Clappy Scarf IS growing on me. I hope I can donate it on Wednesday at the DKC meeting. I hope I don't decide to claim if for myself. I *am* such a selfish knitter!