Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sunflower Tam hates me

Most people know that I'm a pretty selfish knitter. 9 times outta 10, what I'm knitting is for me. Recently I've been doing a rash of gift knitting (well, if you consider two projects a rash). The Seamesh Scarf has been the big gift project and that has been in the making for like 2 years.

When I saw my mom in October I told her that I wanted to knit her a hat and that I had the perfect pattern and the perfect yarn. I showed her both. She wasn't exactly sure how she felt about the pattern but LOVED the colour of the yarn. I couldn't start it right away as I had to finish Pimlico for Rhinebeck. I started the tam October 24th and have had NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS EVER SINCE!

Once I got into the pattern for the top I ended up ripping the same inch or so out 12 times. So I stomped around a bit, said some bad words and then threw it back in the basket as punishment. In the last couple weeks I've picked it back up, noticed a ton of mistakes, made a bunch of new mistakes and riiiiippped a few rows here and there. Then I realized it was too big (at least for me) but I kept going. I'm not feeling the love for this project. But, as you can see, I'm very close to done. As long as I don't make the same mistakes I've been making from the get-go my mom might actually get a hat before Spring.


1 comment:

Me said...

I feel your pain. I ripped out this hat about 2 or 3 times before I "got" it. I also look like I have a huge head when I wear it. So it's just sitting around, somewhere, waiting for someone who'll love it and look good in it.