Monday, September 24, 2007

Socks of Knowledge



I know this is an old picture but for some reason I really like the idea of seeing this project so close to done. I guess I miss this project just a tad. There's nothing like a project that is mindless and challenging all at the same time which these socks were. These socks a have been dubbed "The Socks of Knowledge" by LadyLungDoc as every technique (except the knitting and purling) was new to me. It made the endless knitting and purling fun and I had no reservations about starting the second sock. What did I accomplish? Well...

- first attempt at toe-up
- mastered the "magic" cast-on by Judy Becker
- experimented with new increases - Knit Right Loop (KRL) and Knit Left Loop (KLL)
- discovered a modification worksheet for the Widdershins heel
- struggled with Elizabeth Zimmerman's Sewn Cast Off

I want to enjoy these socks as much as possible as I'll be sending these off this week to a friend. Who I hope will enjoy wearing them as much as I enjoyed making them!



GARTER RIB SOCKS
Started: first sock Sept. 3rd, second sock Sept 10th
Completed: first sock Sept. 8th, second sock Sept. 15th
Pattern: Garter Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch
Yarn: Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM)
Needles: US 3/3.25mm KnitPicks Options
Recipient: a friend...
Notes: I was a little disappointed in the Koigu. One of the skeins had what looked like snags throughout and there was a knot. That is something I don't expect when I pay $14 a skein. I would definitely think twice before buying Koigu again. However the colourway was pretty spectacular.

No comments: